Saturday, July 6, 2013

Tattoo-spiration

Tattoos are freaking awesome.  I have 4 tattoos myself: one on my ankle, one quarter sized tat on each inner wrist, and a text tattoo on my upper back shoulders. I love them. I want more. Tattoos truly are as addicting as they are proposed to be.
historypoetry
Quote from The Catcher in the Rye, about education. Definitely on my list.
I have a specific love for text and literary tattoos. As an English teacher, writer, and lover of books; I find myself obsessed with how people imprint meaningful words onto their skin. I pour over literary tattoo website (like Contrariwise and The Word Made Flesh). I make lists of quotes that I find particularly meaningful, whether in their message or their source. 

tat2
From Shel Silverstein's "Invitation" poem. My personal favorite.

My back tattoo is simply the word "Words". I think it perfectly summarizes my greatest love (...words...), and serves as a jumping off point for a life-long tattoo project. I am going to fill my back with meaningful text tattoos. They will be different sizes and at different angles, overlapping and creating texture. I'm incredibly excited and terribly nervous to begin.

Abso-fucking-lutely brilliant.

What quotes are the most meaningful to you? Would you get a tattoo, or specifically a text tattoo?

No comments:

Post a Comment